Sunday, June 6, 2010

DIVING!!!

Yes, it's that time of year again. The last few weeks before school lets out; the weather is warm, spring activities are ending, and DIVE SEASON STARTS. Tomorrow at 4:15 PM, I'll be at the pool with some of the coolest people you'll ever meet to start a 2-month period of practicing every morning and then competing Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Diving is one of the most unique sports out there for a ton of reasons. It's falling with style and grace, it takes more conditioning than most other sports, and the people who do it are really awesome. Plus, how many friends can you name who dive? Exactly. That's why, even though I have to wake up early almost every day during the summer, I don't complain; I look forward to it.



Hey, if you're looking for a great summer book, check out Improbable by Adam Fawer. I read it two years ago, and it is still the best book I've ever read.

Improbable is a 2005 science fiction thriller novel by Adam Fawer. It is the story of a gifted young man named David Caine, who has been troubled by debilitating epileptic seizures to the extent that his medical condition has thrown his life completely off track. He frequently gambles, and goes in debt to the local mafia.
During the course of the book, Caine undergoes an experimental medical treatment in an attempt to set his life straight. After the procedure, however, he discovers that he is able to make predictions using his enhanced calculative skills, and change the future based on his discoveries.

Plus, the cover art is pretty neat. It has a 3-D lenticular image on it which shifts based on your viewing angle. Funny thing is, that's what drew me to the book. I had never heard of it before; I just was in the library and I saw a shiny cover on the shelf so I took it, looked at the summary on the back, and I read it. 


Countdown to summer : 17 days

No comments:

Post a Comment