Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring Broken

Today is Sunday. April eleventh. Two-thousand ten. Which can only mean one thing: the last day of spring break. A day of mourning from kids all over the county. A day where "Crap! I have math homework?!?!?" can be heard from Centennial to Oakland Mills. A day when procrastination is more popular than Nickleback. Wait... bad analogy. It's more popular than the Killers. Much better. Bottom line is, today is a bad day for students all over.

On a brighter note, it's 66° out, sunny, and just beautiful. Great motivation to get that homework done early, right?

...not really. Hopefully I'll be able to get outside at least once today before it gets dark, though. After spending a week in southern Florida where it was 80° almost every day, I started to miss this Maryland spring weather.

While I was in Florida, though, I went to Tampa for two days. We saw that the Orioles were playing the Rays for their opening series, so we went to Tropicana Field to see Thursday night's game (the only game Baltimore has won this year). Tampa and St. Petersburg are some of the strangest places I've been to in a while. In my hotel, they were playing "Here Comes Santa Clause." In April. In Florida. On the way to St. Pete for the baseball game, we stopped at a gas station. Inside, they sold tasers. Okay, so they weren't the huge Taser-brand military-use machines, but they were personal electrocution defense weapons, and that's close enough for me. When we got to the stadium, I was excited because I had never been to an indoor baseball stadium before. We got our tickets, walked in, and all of a sudden, I was thrown back to when I was 6 years old. The entire place looked like a glorified Chuck E. Cheese. I understand they might be trying to be kid-friendly, but when you have flashing lights, game booths, and comic-book drawings of the players as superheroes every ten feet, it gets to be a little much. To add to the matter, Chick-fil-A was giving out cowbells as a promotion that night. There were 16,000 people in a dome raising Hell with Columbia blue cowbells. "More Cowbell!!!" the scoreboard constantly read, taking the quote from the famous SNL skit with Christopher Walken. Please, no more cowbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment