Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring!

If, while reading this post, you notice any similarities to John Quinn's latest post, which I just read, you can be assured that this has nothing to do with it.

It's 63° out, it's sunny, I'm sitting here watching spring training baseball, and everything about life right now yells "spring." I can't help but yell back. Spring is probably my favorite season of the year. Sun, warmth, colors, my birthday, and, best of all, baseball. The Major League season kicks off in eleven days, and you can bet I'm going to be in front of my TV watching. Now, you may argue, "Oh, but Ted, baseball is so slow and it's boring and it takes no skill at all and you have to wear tight pants to play." Well, try playing it. It's fast, intense, and takes more skill most people think. Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest jobs in all of sports. When you think about it, reacting to a small white ball with a circumference of 9 inches and then bringing a bat around to hit it back all in less than a second seems a lot more complicated. Also, one of my coaches in the past told me something that I'll probably never forget. Baseball is the best sport out there for one reason: It's the only sport where every player needs to be at the top of their game at all times, because you never know who it'll come down to in the clutch. In football, with a minute left and the score tied, what do you do? You hand the ball off or pass it to the best player on the team. In basketball, down 1 with 2 seconds left, you give the ball to Kobe or LeBron. You can't control who will come up to bat with a man on third and two outs in the ninth. And that, my friends, is what makes baseball great. That, and the fact that I make great money doing what I love by umpiring for HCYP.

1 comment: